Thursday, March 23, 2006

Out of the Convent and Back to Work

Well, I spent the last day of my vacation, Tuesday, March 20th, in a convent. Here is a picture of it from the outside. It is a wonderful, beautiful place, and I got to spend from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. there.
I had a wonderful view. I spent my day writing in my journal, working on my Tarot book and cards...meditating and just enjoying the atmosphere. There was another group there that day, but I couldn't really hear them except when they were having lunch. Beyond that, it felt like I was all alone. It was so peaceful and quiet. The original plan was that I was going to be in one of the upstairs rooms with a desk and a wing chair, but the good sisters had forgotten that they would be having a guest stay in that room so I had to suffer with one of the enormous downstairs room. Here was my little setup and my view.
Rough huh? I brought my lunch so I didn't even have to leave the grounds for that. It was cold and rainy so I spent the day inside, which is kind of a shame because the grounds are so beautiful. But it was so cozy. Those leaded glass windows are just incredible. The hardware on them is so old and lovely. You can really begin to understand as you look at the stone casements for the windows and the leaded glass windows themselves the phrase "they sure don't make 'em like they used to." I cannot even imagine what that property would go for on the real estate market. It's almost obscene to think of it as ever being up for sale. I know that there are a lot fewer sisters than there used to be, and that the Catholic church is a business.....I hope that whatever diocese this convent is in is a rich one and can afford to keep them there. I know that the house itself was donated by a Boeing-rich family back in the 1930s, and so they don't have to pay for the land or the house unless they have leveraged it for other funds, but it has to cost quite a bit of money just to keep up with the maintenance and the grounds.

Anyway, back to my day. One of the things I did while I was here with all of this time to myself was to lay out a tarot mandala. This is my DruidCraft deck and this is an exercise recommended in the book. It takes so much floor space and so much time to set up that I didn't think I would get to do it. But I did it on my nunnery day! There were really some insights and illuminations that came from it too. Plus, it took a pretty cool picture. Check it out.


Another thing that the good sisters have going for them is that they have unencrypted wireless internet access, so while I was there, and yes....of course I took the laptop. I can't get very far from a keyboard these days. I really dont think I would know what to do with myself if I did. Anyway, I was able to hook up to the Internet, email my husband, and what was even better, MY CIRCLE MATES right there from the Convent. I did try to put up a blog entry from there, but something happened and I lost it and I decided that I wasn't about to waste all my convent time looking at a computer when I could look right in front of me and through antique leaded glass windows see a gorgeous vision of the Puget Sound and the ferries crossing back and forth fucking around with trying to get a blog post written. That stuff is better done from places like I am occupying now. The friggin sofa at home with the idiot box with nothing on it playing in the background. Yep, there are plenty of THESE moments to write things on the computer.

So, yeah....I'll be going back to the convent as soon as I can. I think it is soul-restorative and wonderful to be there, and hopefully the good sisters will have me back. Just wanted to share some of that day here on my blog.

Bright Blessings all ya'll.

Sister Mary Asradel

No comments: