Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Goddess's Gift of Artistic Talent

The Tarot has long been a passion of mine. I read cards when I was a kid....then again as a teenager, then kept the fire of inquisitiveness all through my 20s, 30s and now my 40s. I have acquired quite a few decks and told quite a few fortunes using the Tarot. I collect different decks and study their images to see what the artists' interpretations are of the 78 doors of wisdom. It's a wonderful passion to have. To read tarot cards for people and to study their images and absorb the interpretations of hundreds of different artists, but now, I've got a new high. :)

Well, my friend, Holly Glenn, whom I work with and at one time lived with (in that plantonic "roommate" way), has begun her own Tarot deck. It is wonderful! I am posting her first card here, and also a link to her website is on the right side of this page under my favorite links so you can watch the progress of this deck. :) This will be the one and only time I post one of her images here - you'll have to check her website to get a fix of her latest.

Look at that card! Look at that face! Full of knowing and intelligence yet as innocent and fresh as friggin' spring rain. Strength. This card depicts the purest of that attribute. The ability to know, to reason, to maintain and direct with reason those impulses which, if not controled could utterly consume you. To feel gently confident and aware of the world around you. Look how keen her eyes are. There is nothing that will get past her, and yet there isn't a drop of menace in her. She simply doesn't need it.

Isn't it amazing? And I have to say that this is a really cool experience for me because, well, I've been collecting and looking into artist's interpretations of these 78 mysterious cards for friggin' 25 years now - and now here is an artist that I know and care about making her own interpretations of these cards tangible to me. It really is difficult to describe the experience. I saw one of her cards "in progress" this morning - the Death card, and it blew me away. It was so surreal to see this card whose incarnation I had studied in dozens of different decks to now be presented through her fresh eyes. It's a knockout.

I'll be writing the book for this deck. She didn't ask me to, I volunteered. I will start it when she is halfway through the majors. It will be a labor of love and an honor to participate in the project. I'm really looking forward to it.

So, the Goddess's gift of artistic talent definitely has been given to Holly - she is the vessel through which moves the divine force of creation. But that gift is also a gift to those of us who it touches and moves.

So....
Thank you Goddess...
Thank you Holly....

This is going to be a lot of fun.

Az

No comments: