Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Hello from Hell

Well, the hits just keep on comin'. I'm sitting in a hospital room at Harrison Medical Cetner in Bremerton wtching Andrea, that's my daughter for anyone who might be picking up this unfortunate cancor of a blog to read for the first time, struggle to breathe. And THIS is an improvement over when she was unconscious for 4 days in ICU in this same hospital. It's strange. I am so exhausted I don't even know my name, but I don't really have much to say on this subject other than I would not wish this kind of pain and worry on my worst enemy.

Her lungs have some serious gunk in them and her blood oxygen saturation levels just won't stabilize. I have been here at the hospital for what feels like most of my adult life. I came her on Friday at noon, and left Saturday at midnight (or, if you want to be technical, Sunday at 12:00 a.m.) and then returned on Sunday at 8:30 (left the house at 6:00 because Bremerton is 1.5 hours from where we live), and have stayed through now, let's seeeeeeee it's 5:25 a.m. on Tuesday. Needless to say, I am quite tired. And I have no idea when I will be able to get some actual sleep. The original plan was to go over to some friends of ours here in Bremerton and get some sleep on their couch while the very capable nurses in ICU took care of Andra. After all, I stayed through the night on Sunday - there should be no need to do it both Sunday and Monday. Wrong. They decided that Andrea had improved enough to put her into progressive care. Well, let me just say THAT may have been a bit premature. I left here at 9:00 p.m. when they moved her to this new room. The ex-husband and his girlfriend were here visiting her, so I stalled a bit at Lories, and then we went to pick up my car which had a flashing warning light come on when I was driving out of here on Saturday, and again when I was driving in here on Sunday. Since it was flashing, and nto a stable light, I took it to the Hyanduai dealership here in Bremerton. Those dudes were pretty good. They had it fixed and ready to go in two hours. The problem was that Andrea had begun the long and arduous process of waking up out of a 4-day drug-induced coma, and I barely was able to scrape out enough time to go and drop the friggin' thing off, much less go and pick it up when it was ready, so I didn't. I talked to one of the service technicians and he said that he would leave the key in the wheel well, and I could just pick it up at my first convenience. Well, due to Andrea's being moved out of the ICU, my "convenience" didn't arrive until 9:00 p.m. At 9:00, Lori picked me up from the hospital and we went back to her house so I could inject my Enbrel, and she coul think of something to fix me for dinner. I got the all-important and extremely good, chicken salad sammich. Anyway, I dinked around between chatting with Lori and picking up my car for 90 minutes. By the time I got back to the hospital, Andrea has gone downhill. She had a fever of 100.7, and she was talking like someone who had experienced brain damage. It was a very, very scary night. Thankfully, the RN who is looking after her here, is quite good. She listened to all my concerns and bascially we worked out a strategy to get Andrea better. This strategy included her reviewing the chart, ordering new bloodwork and having a conversation with Dr. Eagan - the dude who is on call for this sort of thing.

At any rate, I find myself dozing off in the middle of this post. I don't want to be a dumbass and lose my lappy over falling asleep at the wheel. So I'll just go ahead and post.

No comments: