Friday, August 19, 2005

Last Day of Vacation

The worst thing about vacations is having them end. This sucks. I've been home just about enough time to get relaxed a little bit and get my bearings and now I'm going back to work. Suck-age abounds.

Our exchange student, Yuka, leaves for Japan tomorrow. We're going to miss her. Very strange to have a person you don't know come into your house and stay for three weeks, then just be suddenly gone. I'm wearing the shirt she brought for me from Japan. It has a Kanji character on it that means "Samari" but I have a piece of paper where she has written many more Kanji symbols for more ordinary and pertinent things like "garden" and so forth. I will use them in my art work. Right now I'm in the process of making painted glass windows anchored to a planter for the back patio. I haven't gotten very far on the project today because I've wanted to be available to drive the girls wherever they wanted to go - and that I did. I will work on them some more tomorrow. There's a lot of prep work before I get to the actual design. I think I'll take some pictures in the process I think. My husband takes pictures every step of the way in his work as a blacksmith and on his art projects as a metal smith (one in the same thing, actually for him anyway).

So it's just about time for the man to get home on this fine, fine Friday. We're sending Yuka back to Japan with her last dinner being a Tex-Mex creation by yours truly - just some tacos, rice, beans, salsa, guacamole - y'know.....'merican food.

It occurs to me that by the time I get back to work on Monday I will have been gone from the office for 11 days - it'll feel like no time at all because I've been working from home - but those are the hazards of keeping up with the job so you don't have a heart attack when you return from all the pile-up.

No comments: